Call for entries: SOLOS 2016
The Westport Arts Center’s Visual Arts program is dedicated to creating exhibitions and cultural arts experiences that enrich the community. SOLOS 2016 marks the 10th anniversary of SOLOS exhibitions which celebrate the artistic talent and diversity of its artist members. Through the compelling bodies of work exhibited, regional artists have explored a variety of ideas from unique points of view. SOLOS 2016 will feature up to 8 artists, selected by Douglas Hyland, former Director of the New Britain Museum of American Art. The exhibition is sponsored by Cohen and Wolf, PC.
JUROR: Douglas Hyland
Douglas Hyland served as Director of the New Britain Museum of American Art for sixteen years during which two buildings were constructed and over 6,000 art works were acquired. He has curated more than a hundred exhibitions and written on a wide range of topics from fakes and forgeries to 19th century French artists to contemporary art. He also served as Director of the Memphis, Birmingham and San Antonio Museums of Art over his 35-year career as an art museum director. He earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Pennsylvania and his doctorate in art history from the University of Delaware. Dr. Hyland lives in West Hartford, CT, with his wife Professor Alice Hyland.
How To Submit
- Click here to submit work to SOLOS 2016 and follow the instructions.
- For assistance with submitting, please register for our April 20 Digital Application Workshop.
- For questions, contact Visual Arts Manager, Jill Sarver.
- WAC will notify all artists by email on Friday, June 1, 2016 at 5pm. No phone calls, please.
- Accepted artists’ names will be posted on the SOLOS 2016 exhibition page.
Publication & Insurance
- Your submission to SOLOS 2016 exhibition signifies your grant of permission to WAC to reproduce work for promotional materials and your acceptance of all conditions stated in this prospectus.
- All works are insured by WAC while on site through the pick-up date.
- Artists must be a member through August 31, 2016 or become a member.
- To learn about membership levels, prices, and benefits, click here.
- If you are unsure of your membership status, call 203.222.7070.
- Has not exhibited in SOLOS for the past 3 years.
- Artwork must be submitted by May 13, 2016.
- Late entries will be accepted through May 20, 2016 for an additional $10 fee.
- Artists may submit a body of work of 3 to 8 pieces, completed after January, 2014.
- 2-D work, including frame, may not exceed 72”.
- 3-D work may not exceed 72” in any direction
- No works may exceed 200 lbs.
- Images should be 1MB – 4 MB and be uploaded as .jpg or .png.
- Videos may be up to 500 MB and submitted as .mov, .mp4, or .wmv.
- Artists may submit their resume, artist statement, and a brief description of submitted works.
- WAC may edit artist selection based on space limitations.
Entry Fee & Payment
- Entry Fee: $35 for a submission of 3-8 images.
- Young Artist Entry Fee: $25
- One submission per artist.
- Additional fee for late entries: $10
- All payments are securely processed with PayPal.
Digital Application Workshop
April 20, 1 - 2:30pm
$20/$15 WAC Members
New to online juried exhibitions? This workshop is designed to get you on the fast-track to creating a cohesive and attractive digital artist packet that is perfect for applying to online juried shows.
Learn how to:
- Digitally photograph your artwork
- Create labels and archive your work
- Create an effective artist statement
- Submit your work through online jury sites
Digital Application Workshop: April 20
Submission Deadline: May 13
Late Submission Deadline: May 20
Notification: June 1
Selected Artwork Drop Off: June 19
Opening Reception: June 24
Exhibition Closes: August 20
SOLOS 2016 is sponsored by
|NeonCRM by Neon One|